The Application Process for Participating in God’s Power is in full swing. We will keep it open until the program is filled. If you are feeling led to apply, please do so soon.
Preparing Your Application
Here are the pieces necessary for your completed application to the Participating in God’s Power program:
- Cover Sheet (personal information)
- Responses to application questions
- Recommendations (2)
- Application Fee ($25)
Cover sheet and application are available here:
Along with contact information for your two references, please have them write recommendations addressing the following:
- Your readiness and aptitude for this program;
- Your emotional and spiritual maturity;
- Your preparation to enter this program; and
- Your new areas of growth as well as your demonstrated gifts.
One of these people should be a member of your home meeting or church, a spiritual director or mentor, or some other member of your spiritual community. Recommendations sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org are acceptable.
$25 application fee can be made with a check, credit card, or PayPal account. Please make your check payable to The School of the Spirit Ministry. If accepted into the program, this fee will apply towards your tuition. If your application is not accepted, the fee is non-refundable.
The year-long Participating in God's Power program costs $3,550. There are generous scholarships available, and your ability to pay will not be a factor in your acceptance into the program. For more information about these money matters, please click here.
Submission of Application
Your application may be submitted electronically (preferred method) to email@example.com. Or you can print out the PDF version and send it by postal mail to 360 Blossom Hill Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.
(For time considerations, we would prefer written responses. However, if written responses are a challenge for you, we are open to receiving an audio file or having a one-on-one conversation with you.)
- Tell us about why you are drawn to be part of this program. Please include a description of how you became clear in heart, mind, and spirit to apply to this program and how you see this opportunity fitting into the arc of your spiritual journey. (2-3 pages)
- Respond succinctly but fully in answering the following discernment questions:
These questions are meant for your own discernment as well as to assist us in the admission process. If you have any concerns about these questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.
- Describe your response to and level of comfort with the Christian grounding of Quakerism and with Christ-centered language.
- In what ways are you willing to commit to an increasing ability to be present with yourself and others in those places where we carry old hurts and at the same time encounter the deepest, truest part of ourselves?
- What ways do you protect yourself as a result of life experiences, and how do those patterns impact your spiritual life?
- After reading “A New Look at Safety,” please describe your sense of your ability to take risks within this supportive structure.
- We all lead busy lives. This program asks that you engage in a daily spiritual practice, attend all the residencies, and participate in the video conferences. How will you make space in your life to honor these commitments?
- For your safety and health, are there any limitations that might affect your participation in this program? (See the sample daily schedule in the Program Guide.)
- What other questions, if any, have come up for you regarding undertaking this program?
Childcare: While we would want to support anyone attending, including parents of young children, we consider the program schedule to be so demanding, and the program content to require a high level of focus akin to an immersion experience, that we would urge interested applicants to come without their children. If no other childcare options are available, we are open to being in conversation with parents about how they envision being full participants in the program while also having children present.